Tag Archives: Floor plan

More Welding / Mera svetsning

Although I haven’t been posting anything on this blog for a little while, we have made a lot of progress in the garage. Clint and Steve have been working 215 hours on the car since the new year and my previous blog post; mostly unpicking panels, cleaning, making new panels, repairs and welding well as priming various eras. I will try to summarise those works in the coming posts to bring you up to speed. Hopefully I should be in a position to blog a bit more frequently as of now.

Anyhow, below is the starting position. Underside of the body and the interior in primer and the rear of the body almost done. There were a few things in the front though , that we were concerned about. Damages from the Moose accident, decades ago, to the bonnet hinge panel and front chassis legs; we wanted to take off both front wings to have a good look at what the previous garage had done to make sure there was no rust; replace the previously repaired N/S front wing with a new NOS wing I had bought so that we get both front wings replace with new; I wanted also to take off the scuttle panel to clean out any rust that we might find under it; and finally put the car in the jig, measure and pull if needed.

IMG_1897

IMG_1899

Även om jag inte hunnit blogga sedan nyår så har det inte stått stilla i garaget.  Clint obj Steve har jobbat 215 timmar på bilen sedan nyår och min senaste blogg post. Plockat isär karosssektioner, rengjort, tillverkat nya karosssektioner och reparerat och svetsat samt grundmålat. Jag ska försöka att summera dessa arbeten i den kommande blogg posterna. Förhoppningsvis kommer jag att kunna blogga lite oftare framöver.

Nedan är utgångsläget i början på året. Undersidan och insidan var klara och grundmålade och bakdelen på bilen var i stor klar. Det var fortfarande några saker i fronten som bekymrade oss.  Skador från älgkrocken för flera decennier sedan, panelen där motorhuvens gångjärn är fästa och främre chassi benen. Vi ville även ta av framskärmarna igen för att kunna kolla vad den förra verkstaden jag anlitade hade gjort och försäkra oss om att det inte var någon rost kvar där. Byta ut den tidigare lagade vänstra fram skärmen med den ny NOS skärm jag fått tag på så det blir två nya framskärmar.Jag ville också lyfta på panelen där friskluftsintaget sitter under framrutan för att rengöra från den rost som kan finnas där. Det var den sista slutna sektionen som vi inte öppnat. Slutligen sätta bilen i en mät jig och dra den rätt om den behöver justeras.

 

Is there no progress on the welding of the body? / Händer det inget med kaross svetsningen?

I just realised that I haven’t posted an update about the welding of the body for quite a while. In fact, the last post about the body welding was over a year ago Blog post about the body from May 2015 (opens in a new window). There is a lot of work that has been done on the floor and we should soon be ready to paint!  I hope…

The reason for the long delay are many:

(1) The garage  I use, Castleman (Opens in a new window) have changed ownership and the guys have been busy with improving the workshop and upgrading the bodyshop machinery.

img_0581

With those new machines you can do pretty much anything, from the front to the rear: Bending Roll, Bending Roll (or Bead Roller), English Wheel, Boxing Pan (the green one) and Guilioteen (to the left)

(2) I have not been able to find any reliable reviews with proper test results for the various methods for applying a rust protective base coat. There are different views about what is the best: 2 Pack Epoxi, Etch Primer, e-coating, Zink-based products and some firms even suggest they can galvanise thin panels (!). I have therefore decided to do a proper 2000 hours  Salt Spray Test to satisfy myself what is the best way forward. 2000 hours is a long time so the test ran over three months plus preparations and was run by a professional laboratory in accordance with the ASTM B117 standard. We did the tests using 50 year old mild steel car panels to get the results as relevant as possible for a classic car restorer. I have also visited a number of firms providing rust protection services in the UK. I will write a dedicated blog post about the Salt Spray Test later on.

(3) There was quite a bit of work with the welding of the floor. A few panels have had to be made up, some others have been bought, some panels that had been replaced by the previous garage had to be replaced as they where not properly fitted. And cleaning, cleaning cleaning! I am very happy that we have opened up all box sections in the floor and cleaned them and treated them. As you can see from the pictures below there was hidden rusty, panel on panel welding, when the outrigger was opened. The plan is now to drill an inspection hole in all box sections in the floor so that we , now that it is clean, can apply the rust protective base coat with a special spray gun, as well as rust protect it with wax or similar.  I will always be grateful to Clint and the Castleman team that the insisted that we should strip the underside of the car again as he felt quite suspicious about the quality of the previous garage’s work.  I am glad we did because it revealed so much that needed reapir and cleaning. Imagine if I had not one this and after spending ten’s of thousands of Pounds on the more visible parts of the car, would have been faced with the new rust repairs  would have continuously been needed on the floor.  It is again confirmed to me that when restoring a classic car, every square millimeter needs to be checked, cleaned, repaired, replaced or treated. There are no shortcuts!