Category Archives: Equipment / Utrustning

Bonnet lock handle / Huvlåsets manöverarm

The lock mechanism needed a good overhaul now when the rest of the car will look like new. This is the problem when restoring a car, when most parts are renovated and come up like new, you don’t want to fit items that hasn’t been renovated because thy then become so visible. Anyhow, the handle is now back from Dorsetware where it has been re-chromed. In the mean time, I’ve been doing a bit of research to find out how I could get a nice new red rubber coating on the handle as the original. Finally I found Plasti-dip http://www.plastidip.co.uk which turned out to be a great product for the job.  Just dip the handle in the container and then let it dry. I gave it two coats after I first had put a bit of masking tape around the handle. The first time I tried, the coating didn’t stick to the shiny chromed surface.

IMG_7178

IMG_5394 IMG_7169 IMG_7170 

IMG_5090 IMG_7171

IMG_7075 IMG_7176 IMG_7175

IMG_5088 IMG_7178

Låsmekanismen behövde en genomgång nu när resten av bilen blir så fin. Det är det här som är problemet med att renovera en gammal bil, när de flesta delar ser ut som nya vill man inte sätta tillbaka delar som inte gör det. Nåväl, handtaget är nu tillbaka från Dorsetware där det har blivit kromat. Under tiden har jag kollat runt hur man kan återskapa den röda summerade ytan på handtaget. Tillslut fann jag Plasti-dip http://www.plastidip.co.uk vilket visade sig vara en utmuarkt produkt för detta ändamål. Man bara doppar handtaget i burken och låt det torka över natten. Jag doppade två gånger efter att först satt maskeringstejp runt den del av handtaget jag skulle doppa. Första gången jag provade fastnade inte summeringen överallt eftersom den kromade ytan var för glatt.

Advertisements

An autumn Saturday in the garage / En höst-lördag i garaget

I have still work to do on items that are back from Powder-coating, Sandblasting or Sodablasting. Perfect for a rainy autumn Saturday. The jack has been sandblasted, electroplated and powder-coated so that’s probably better than new. Now its ready to go.

The horns and relays has been soda blasted so it was just to polish the relays and spay the horns.

I had actually bought a new master cylinder for the clutch, but when it arrived I noticed it wasn’t a  Girling original but a copy, so I decided to renovate the old original one instead. I also discovered why there was hydraulic oil next to the cylinder; there was no gasket in the lid!  That’s now sorted.

IMG_6183IMG_6182

IMG_6187 IMG_6189

IMG_6222

IMG_6223IMG_6226

IMG_6224IMG_6225  IMG_6227

Det är fortfarande en del pyssel med grejorna som är tillbaka från blästring och pulverlack. Perfekt för en regnig höst-lördag! Domkraften har blivit sandblästrad, förzinkad och pulverlackad, så den är förmodligen bättre än när den var ny. Nu är den klar att lägga i bilden när jag kommer så långt.

Sinalhornen och reläerna har blästrats med salt, så det var bara att polera reläerna med Autosol och spraya signal hornen svarta.

Jag hade köpt en ny huvudcylinder till kopplingen men när den kom så såg jag att det inte var en Girling orginal så jag bestämde mig för att renovera den gamla istället. Jag upptäckte också varför det läckt hydraulolja vid cylindern – det fanns ingen packning i locket. Det är nu fixat!