A shortcut / en genväg

I haven’t taken that many shortcuts so far in my restoration project, but here is one: My car had a start button (like on a new car) as the electrical switch behind the ignition lock didn’t work properly. As I want to restore back to original, I did for obvious reason didn’t want to keep this arrangement. The first problem turned out to be that the Ignition Coil and the electrical Switch was in one unit, connected by an armoured cable for theft protection. The second problem was that this are very expensive. A second hand one is £2-300 and a NOS turned out to be £575. Therefore I looked for a second hand but working ignition switched found one for (I think £20).

The repair was pretty easy. I cut off the faulty switch leaving about 300 mm of armoured cable, and then cut of the working switch from its faulty Ignition Coil and then solded  the cable together. Before the solding  I prepared with different sized insulation sleaves (the ones that shrinks when warmed with a hot airgun.) First to insulate the cable in the middle, and then to insulate around the Araldite moulded protection. I used a bit of copper pipe to cast the Araldite in.This method worked well.

 

IMG_8432 (2)

Jag har inte tagit så många genvägar hittills tror jag, men här är en! Min bil hade en startknapp, precis som alla nya bilar, eftersom strömbrytaren bakom tändningslåset inte fungerade i startläget. Eftersom jag vill återställa bilen till original så vill jag ju inte ha den lösningen kvar med dess extra relä och kabeldragning. Det första problemet var att tändspolen och strömbrytaren är en enhet, sammanbundna av en armerad kable för att uppnå ett bra stöldskydd. Det andra problemet var att denna är väldigt dyr eftersom den är så ovanlig. Det är en liknande konstruktion till Amazon, men det passar inte då den har 4 skruvhål istället för tre. En bengal till P1800 kostar  £2-300 och en NOS hittade jag på eBay för £575. Jag började då att leta efter en begagnad med trasig tandspole med med fungerande strömbrytare och hittade en till slut för (jag tror det var) £20. 

Reparationen var ganska enkel. Jag kapade den trasiga strömbrytaren och lämnade ungefär 300mm av den armerade kabeln, och sedan skar jag av den fungerade strömbrytaren från den trasiga tändspolen och lödde ihop ändarna. Innan jag lödde hade jag förberett genom att trä på krympslang (de som krymps med varmluftspistol). Den första för att isolera ledaren i mitten och den andra för att skydda den färdiga lagningen med Araldit. Jag använde ett stycke uppskuret kopparrör  för att kunna gjuta Aralditen. Jag höll ihop röret med slangklämmar när jag gjöt och tog sedan bort dem. Det funkade bra.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s