The Engine ready / motorn klar

So finally the engine is ready and its time to take some nice photos of it!

IMG_8146

IMG_8151 IMG_8139 IMG_8149 IMG_8145

Äntligen är motorn klar och det är dags att ta lite foton!

————————–

As the engine block was restored in 2009 and drilled to 2 litre (Select category “Engine” in the menu to the right if you want read more about it), fitted with a K-camshaft and new pistons and crank-shaft so in terms of the block, I have basically only replaced the gaskets, painted the block and aqua-blasted/powder-coated/electro-plated the bits. More thought had gone in to the head though. After speaking to many knowledgeable head restorers in both Sweden and the UK, I selected Krilles Motor in Sweden www.krillesmotor.se to help me find the right solution. After a few chats on the phone – thanks Krille for being so patient – I opted for replacing the ported B18 head I had with a full restored B20 head with hardened valve seats to be able to use unleaded fuel, all new hardware (valves, springs, guides etc). Although I had been happy with how the car performed with the old ported B18 head, we concluded that the compression ratio was too high as the B18 head had obviously much smaller combustion chambers which didn’t match the 2 liter block. The result was that the car had been very difficult to turn off (even more difficult than the red-block Volvo’s already are). When I had made the decision Krille worked very hard to deliver quickly. He even worked a weekend and managed to deliver whilst I was visiting in Sweden which reduced carriage costs for me as I could check it in on my return flight! Just had to build a robust box in timber for it.  I had the rockers restored in England.

IMG_8108

IMG_7530 IMG_7250 IMG_8112 IMG_8110 IMG_8108 IMG_8107 IMG_8106 IMG_7724 IMG_7720 IMG_7726

Eftersom motorblocket var renoverat under 2009 och borrat till 2 liter (välj kategori “Motor” till höger om du vill läsa mer om blocket) med ny polerad vevaxel, K-kam och nya kolvar så behövde jag bara byta packningar och måla blocket, och så blästra, pulverlacka och förzinka lite för att få alla delar fina. Mera jobb var det att räkna ut vad som var det bästa att göra med toppen.  Inte minst var man skulle dra gränsen. Jag pratade med många duktiga experter både i England och Sverige men många var inne på att göra mer än jag tror behövdes. Jag vill ju bara ha en bil att finåka med där man inte kan se att något är gjort åt den, men där jag förståss inte säger nej till så bra kraft som möjligt. Jag fastnade för Krilles Motor i sverige www.krillesmotor.se och han hjälpte mig till en bra lösning. Efter flera samtal – tack Krille för dit tålamod – så bestämde jag mig för att byta den gamla trimmade B18 toppen till en helrenoverad B20 topp med härdade ventilsäten så jag kan köra på blyfritt. Kille fick tag på en lämplig topp som planades, fick Mira frästa ventilsäten och alla delar nytt (ventiler, fjädrar, ventilstyrningar mm). Jag hade visserligen varit nöjd med hur bilen gick med den gamla trimmade B18 toppen, men vi kom fram till att kompressionsförhållandet var för högt då den kraftigt planade B18 toppen hade mycket för små förbränningskammare som inte matchade 2 liters blocket. resultatet var att bilen glödtände jättemycket, mer än en vanlig B18/B20 och i princip var omöjlig att få död på. När jag bestämt mig så jobbade Krille över en helg för att jag skulle kunna få med mig toppen hem till England ett par dagar senare. Så det var bara att snickra en trälåda så jag kunde checka in den på planet hem. Stort tack igen Krille – toppenservice! Vipparmsbryggan rengjordes och slipades i England.

———————————

I did two small modifications. First I took off the edge, 0.5mm or so, on the shape at the bottom of head in the combustion chamber. One of the persons I took advice from advised that this may well have helped tje problem with the engine being difficult to turn off. The thought process was that the edge got so hot that it continued to ignite the engine after it had been turned off.  Although I didn’t think that was the whole story, it was worth trying. And, Krille said it would do no harm. Secondly I wasn’t happy with the tolerances on the  Glaser head gasket, VP- Autoparts article 419763, as it throttled the cooling of the head. It was easy to grind out a little to get better flow.

IMG_8079 IMG_8080

IMG_8121 IMG_8120 IMG_8125 IMG_8126

Jag har gjort två små modifieringar. En ena att ta bort den skarpa kanten på toppen i formed mot förbr¨åningsutrymmet. Någon av de B18 kännare jag talade med trodde att det var den skarpa kanten som gjorde att min motor glödtände så svårt. En så skarp kant kan hettas upp och glöda vilket får motorn att fortsätta gå som en diesel även efter att den stängts av.  Det låt vettigt, mej jag trodde nog inte det var hela orsaken. Eftersom Krille sa att det skulle i vart fall inte skada så tog jag fram sliptrissan oh tog bort 0,5 mm eller så.  Den andra justeringen var topplockspacknigen, Glaser från VP-Autoparts artikel 419763. Den passade inte något vidare utan strypte vattenflödet till k¥lningen av toppen.  Fram med sliptrissan igen! 

Advertisements

One thought on “The Engine ready / motorn klar

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s