Building The Front Suspension / Bygga ihop framvagen

This is  a great week end job! As you might have seen in other posts, I have had the parts electro plated and powder coated. Lots of new parts also e.g. Gas Shock Absorbers, Joints and Bushings (I opted for the original Rubber bushings as I believe then to be more comfortable and quiet).

Not everything was straight forward though.

1) The first problem was that I got stuck with the spring compressor when I had fitted the Springs so I had to take it all off again.  Its not as easy when the front suspension isn’t fitted to the vehicle as you can’t use the weight of the car in the process. I had to ask some experienced people about how do do this easiest and the solution was to take out the Shock Absorbers and replace them with a threaded bar and compress the springs that way instead (se picture below) . Then – with the right method – it was very easy.

2) The second issue was how to fit the bracket for the rubber cushion on the lower Fish Bone. After consultations with a few people that knows their P1800’s I would suggest that the illustration in the parts catalogue might not be correct. It does make sense to fit it as per the illustration as the bracket dosen’t sit in the Fish Bone without modification (or heavy whacking into place). Also, it doesn’t really make sense as not more than half of the rubber cushion would be used. The cushions VP-autoparts sell are only about 70 mm. Therefore I decided to fit the bracket facing up.

So, now its ready the be fitted on the car 🙂  I am planning to fit the Engine and Gearbox to the from Axle and then lower the car on to this unit. Should be interesting…

IMG_7272

IMG_7316 IMG_7317 IMG_7298

IMG_7306 IMG_7315IMG_7308

IMG_7351

Det här var ett kul helgjobb!  Som du kanske har sett i tidier blogg poster har jag förzinkat och pulverlackat delarna. Rätt många nya delar också; gas stötdämpare, kulleder och bussningar (Jag valde standard gummibussningar för jag tror de är bekvämare och tystare) 

Allt var dock inte bara att montera:

1) Första problemet var att fjäderkomprimeraren fastnade mellan länkarmarna så jag kunde inte lossa den för att ta ut den. Det är inte så lätt när det inte sitter på bilen där man kan ta hjälp av bilens tyngd. Det var bara att ta av alltihop igen.   Jag fick fråga runt lite bland mer erfarna mekar hur jag skulle gå vidare och lösningen var enkel: Ta ur stötdämparna och ersätt dem med en gängstång så att man kan komprimera fjädrarna genom att dra ihop den istället (se bild nedan). Nu gick det enkelt att få ihop det. Ännu ett bra råd 🙂 

2) Den andra saken var åt vilket håll konsolen till gummibuffertem på nedre länkarm skulle monteras. Den gick i vart fall inte att montera som på bilden i Volvos reservdelskatalog utan att göra betydande våld på den. Hyde jag inte tagit kort på hur det var monterat tidier på bilden då? Jovisst, den hade tidier varit monterat uppåtvänd men eftrsom det varit flertalet felmonterade detaljer på bilen så litade jag inte så mycket på det)  Efter att ha pratat med flera som kan sina P1800-or så tror jag faktiskt att det är så att sprängskissen är fel. Det är inte heller rimligt att vända den nedåt eftersom så lite av kudden skulle vara verkasam då.  Därför monterade jag den uppåt till slut.

Så, nu är detta paket redo att monteras på bilen 🙂  Jag har tänkt att montera motor och växellåda på framaxelbalken och sedan lyfta på karossen ovanifrån. Kan knappt bärga mig…

Advertisements

One thought on “Building The Front Suspension / Bygga ihop framvagen

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s